Sunday, December 1, 2013

Dressember 2013




Yay! Hooray! Woohoo! It’s here! Happy December! Happy Christmas! 

And…HAPPY DRESSEMBER!

I am so excited to be joining the Dressember fun this year. So, so excited. Dressember is a movement. A movement of people all over the globe, celebrating beauty and feminity for a purpose. It’s simple; wear a dress a day for a month, repeats allowed. Take a picture of your outfit and share it somewhere like Facebook, Instagram, or your blog. Tell everyone you know.

Here’s a little background for you: Dressember started in 2009 when blogger Blythe Hill wondered if she could wear a dress every day for a month. The next year it got bigger, and then in 2011 it went International (and hit Instagram). 2012 was even grander. This year, Dressember is partnering with the International Justice Mission (IJM) to raise funds and awareness in the fight against human trafficking and sex slavery. Did you know that over 27 million men, women, and children are trapped in slavery today? That number is greater than during the entire Trans-Atlantic slave trade. That number is unacceptable. 

This project is close to my heart because I believe that we are all called to be advocates for those who cannot use their voice. We all have influence. I feel like the past year for me has been a lot of sitting around and thinking about how I have influence. Sometimes the heart work takes time. And sometimes our influence impacts people without our ever knowing it. It’s time for me to start purposefully doing instead of just thinking. This is a tangible way to start. I’m ready to go and do! I love the phrase “Do what you can with what you have” because it speaks to action, now. This month, I have a lot of dresses. I have fleece-lined leggings. I have sweaters. I can wear a dress every day for a month. And if wearing a dress every day for a month can make even a small impact on someone's life and help give them a voice, I'm in!

I’ll be blogging weekly about my Dressember progress – including photos of the outfits I come up with. There are sure to be some embarrassing ones in the mix, so stay tuned. Let me tell you, fashion bloggers make this whole ordeal look effortless. I’m still getting the hang of this thing – it’s harder than you would think to conceal the remote in a natural way or pose without looking like an idiot! Bear with me, I have a feeling this will be part of the fun. 

If you want more information about Dressember, check out www.dressember.net
If you’re interested in giving a little extra from your gift budget this season, you can donate here: https://www.ijmfreedommaker.org/campaign/2278/Dressember-for-IJM/
 

1 comment:

  1. You are precious and I like that you're doing this.

    ReplyDelete